How to format SD card? It is essential to save your photos, videos, and personal data on an SD memory card. The use of SD memory cards is hazardous without formatting the SD cards.
If you download/save your data from the SD card and publish it on various platforms or save it in more than one place, then formatting the SD card is a good idea.
If you don’t format SD cards, it may be corrupt your photographs or data files.
Techspunk will guide you about How to format SD cards so that your data will not be corrupted.
We will cover formatting sd card in the camera, mac, windows 10 plus using cmd prompt, and SD card formatter.
- Why Should You Need to Format SD Card?
- Why Should You Format a New SD Card?
- Difference Between FAT32 and exFAT
- FINAL WORDS
Why Should You Need to Format SD Card?
Sometimes talking about formatting sd card is a good indication to save your photos and data by corrupting.
Wondering how? Let me explain!
If transferring data from device to sd card is too large, improperly inserted SD card, some application is not suitable or contain the virus.
Either suddenly removing sd card when it’s connected to the system it may corrupt your whole data. That’s why formatting your waste/unusual data is always better.
It retains things more precisely on the SD card. Before formatting sd card, read this post carefully.
If you jump to the guide and forget any step, you’ll lose your data permanently
Remember, there is a difference between Formatting and Deleting. Formatting SD card remove your whole data permanently and makes it as you buy new ones. While Deleting means removing some specific unwanted data-files.
You can format SD card using the following options:
- Format SD card using SD Card Formatter.
- Format SD card using Windows 10.
- Format SD card on Mac.
- Format SD Card on GoPro Camera.
- Format SD card on Canon DSLR.
- Format SD card Using CMD.
1. How to Format SD card using SD Card Formatter?
SD cards are a type of memory card commonly used in mobile phones, digital cameras, and other digital devices for data saving, backup, or transfer.
But, for some reason, it will stop working when it gets contaminated and will become inaccessible.
We can use the SD Card formatter tool provided with Windows / Mac operating system to format the SD card.
However, it is usually recommended to use an SD card formatter for formatting SD / SDXC / SDHC memory cards.
- Download SD card formatter tool (application).
- Launch and run the SD Formatter application. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Select the drive or SD card.
- Choose a format.
- Click Yes to confirm the formatting process.
Screenshot from step 2: Launch and run the SD Card Formatter application.
Once this formatting is complete, the SD card will be properly formatted and ready for use. After formatting, the SD card gives you full capacity.
2. How to Format SD Card Using Windows 10?
Firstly check whether your computer is running on Windows 10.
- Insert your SD card into your computer, using either the SD card slot or USB.
- Press Window Key + E If the card isn’t recognized automatically, press Window Key + E. This will open File Explorer.
- Navigate to This PC in the left sidebar. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Right-click on your SD card and select Format.
- Your SD card’s capacity is less than 64 GB, then set the File System to FAT32. , set the File System to exFAT either If it’s 64 GB or higher. Select Start to begin. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Here you can add SD card volume and give a name to your SD card in the volume label section.
- You’ll see a warning message like Formatting will erase ALL data. If you already backed up your photos and videos, Click OK.
- You’ll see the Format complete window after it completes formatting.
- Click OK and close the window. (Check the screenshot below.)
Screenshot from step 3: Right-click on your SD card and select Format.
Screenshot from step 5: you can select the file system to FAT32 and exFAT.
Screenshot from step 9: Click OK and close the window.
3. How to Format SD card on Mac?
- Open the Applications folder from a Finder. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Scroll down and open the Utility folder.
- Launch Disk Utility. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Find and click on your SD card on the left side of the screen. Unless you’ve got specifically named it, it’ll probably display as UNNAMED or NO NAME.
- Click Erase. It’s located at the highest of the screen, in between partition and restores. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Choose a replacement format from the crop up menu. At this point, you’ll also rename the SD card to whatever you’d prefer.
Screenshot from step 1: open the application folder from a finder.
Screenshot from step 3: Launch Disk Utility.
Screenshot from step 5: Click Erase.
After reading these steps, sometimes people bit confused with a formatting SD card on Mac. So, check our complete step-by-step guide with the pictures.
4. How to Format SD Card on GoPro Camera?
- First of all, insert the card into the camera and turn it on.
- Open the menu on the back screen (swipe down).
- Go to Preferences.
- Scroll down to Reset.
- Choose Format SD Card. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Click on the Format button. (Check the screenshot below.)
Screenshot from step 5: choose format SD card.
Screenshot from step 6: Click on the Format button.
5. How to Format SD card on DSLR Camera?
- Firstly switch on the camera, press the Menu button.
- Go to the Camera Settings 1 tab.
- Select Format. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Select OK to format your card. (Check the screenshot below.)
Screenshot from step 3: Select format.
Screenshot from step 4: Select OK to format SD card.
6. How to Format SD card Using CMD (Windows 10)?
- Type cmd in the search box in Windows 10, Right-click on it, and choose Run as administrator. (Check the screenshot below.)
- In the command prompt, and press ENTER.
- Type list disk to list all the available drives and press ENTER. (Check the screenshot below.)
- Type select disk + disk number. For example, select disk 2 to select the SD card you want to format and press Enter.
- Type list volume and press Enter.
- Type select volume + volume number (or example, select volume 10) and press Enter.
- Type format fs=ntfs (or format fs=exfat) and press Enter to format the drive with NTFS or exFAT.
Screenshot from step 1: In the command prompt, and press ENTER.
Screenshot from step 3: Type list disk to list all the available drives.
Why Should You Format a New SD Card?
The answer depends on the type of SD card and its end-use. For example, some photography experts recommend formatting a new SD card to suit your camera.
On the other hand, some experts advise not to format a new microSD card for a phone but use it immediately.
It is good to check what is required for your particular new SD card, especially keeping in mind its use, and then decide whether it needs to be formatted.
What If I delete the file on SD Card, And it Comes Back?
Go to another directory, then come back, sometimes it may show the file, but it is no longer there.
If it’s still there, unplug the SD card means don’t forget to pull it out.
There should be a lock, as well as an arrow.
Make sure the pin is a contradiction in the direction of the arrow point.
If there is no sign, press the pin at the end with the connectors. Return the SD card.
This means that your SD card is unlocked, and you can edit/delete the contents of the card.
Difference Between FAT32 and exFAT
The main difference is that the FAT32 has a file limit of 4GB, while the XFAT has larger limits, designed for larger files. ExFat is also a new file system.
FAT32 is fine for small file transfers and has the advantage of being compatible with both Windows and Mac computers and Linux and older computers.
At the same time, ExFat is only suitable for recent Windows and Mac operating systems.
This post mentioned 6 ways to format sd card using windows 10, mac, camera, cmd, and SD Card formatter tool.
If you want a straightforward way to format sd card, you can go with the SD Card formatter tool.
If you’ve got questions or queries about SD Card formatter or have a tip to form it better or even you’ve got more different options.
Join me below within the comment section and share with us!